Monday, September 9, 2013

My Hypnotist Ethics (version 1)

By posting my rules publicly, I know that they can be used to critique me, but that's actually a feature since I believe in everything in here, and should be called on my mistakes. I expect that it will evolve over time, in particular that new things will be added, but I think most of these will hold.

I only include things that I think are both possible, and conceivable that they might come up for me (e.g. I don't need to say, no commanding people to be my assassins, or to only be able to go into a trance with me)

The principle underlying all of these is this: Hypnosis is play, and everything besides a simple trance-and-test is heavy play on the order of flogging, bondage, or serious D/s, that requires a high level of trust and consent. Trust consists of two things: belief that the other person knows what you're comfortable and uncomfortable with, and belief that they won't intentionally do things that you're uncomfortable with. There’s room for fucking up on the first point, but not the second.

Here are my current rules:
  1. No hypnotherapy, with the sole exception of helping someone to calm down in the moment or take a mental vacation.
  2. No suggestions that the person wouldn't feel comfortable with if they heard them while not in a trance.
  3. No hypnotic amnesia lasting beyond the current session. With that exception, actively helping the hypnotee to remember every part of the trance every time.
  4. I will always do a pretrance check for phobias and other aversions, and do my best in general try to discover any areas that might be uncomfortable to go into (while being prepared to deal with unexpected ones that might come up).
  5. Each new class of suggestion must be negotiated out of trance, as well as major escalations in them. For the first few trances, I will describe the suggestions in detail and get consent for all of them.
  6. Any long term hypnotic triggers must be extensively discussed out of trance, and also negotiated with any committed partners of the hypnotee.
  7. No sexual, humiliating, or dominating suggestions unless those are established parts of our relationship out of trance.
  8. In particular to be sensitive to what each partner might find humiliating, which may be context-dependent, and never to push on that limit.
  9. No using hypnosis to seduce. It has an inherently seductive aspect, in that it's intimate and shows off a skill, but no attempting to use suggestions to change the way someone feels about me.
  10. No attempting to change anything about a partner (at most, adding bonus features, e.g. hypnotic triggers).
  11. Never to make a trance partner feel bad for lack of response to a type of suggestion, or for not wanting to try a type of suggestion.
  12. No hypnotizing people without consent, e.g. using sneaky language, or using my partner's reinduction triggers without asking permission first. Exception: if we have negotiated that type of relationship.
  13. I will stay tuned in and focused on the person I have hypnotized, looking for any signs of discomfort. Over a long trance I will check in verbally on a regular basis. I will never leave the hypnotee alone for more than a minute or so. If I see another hypnotist not paying attention, to first look out for their hypnotee, and then confront them about it.
  14. I will actively police my local community of hypnotists online and offline, and confront people about behavior that I see as unethical (not necessarily to the extent of this ethics)
  15. I will keep tabs on my hypnotees for a period of time after the trance, and check in with them, to see what they need.


No comments: